Oddly enough, post number 3, describe your relationship with your parents, fell on my mom's birthday. We are lucky to live close enough to her to see her every few weeks but not so close that we take getting to see her for granted.
On top of Mt. Kit Carson for my mom's birthday
I think our relationship is pretty great. We get along well. She spoils her grandkids (and Trav and me) just the right amount. Her house is always welcoming with yummy food, a warm hug, and our favorite cold beers in the fridge.
She's also willing to let her kids dream big but will offer perspective if she thinks it's necessary.
One thing that I have always appreciated, and now try to do with my own kids, is she (and my dad) let us make and learn from our mistakes. We were always allowed to cook and bake, although I'm sure she wished we had learned to clean up after ourselves :) We were allowed to create things with my tools, build forts, paint our bedrooms, the list goes on and on...
My parents encouraged us to try new things and be independent but we also always knew they were right behind us when we needed help.
I think I'm a pretty lucky daughter that I got her for a mom.


No comments:
Post a Comment