Thursday, September 27, 2012

3 legitimate fears


I'm not sure that there was a real catalyst for any of these fears but they are three things of which I am afraid. 

I am scared of snakes. It was probably a fear I had at birth because my dad was also deathly afraid of snakes.  I remember being a little girl and watching him, all six foot six inches, chasing a small garter snake around our yard with a shovel so he could kill it.  On a side note, there was snake at soccer practice today.  The kids were all chasing it and screaming and one child picked it up....sick.  My cell phone buzzed in my pocket during the snake chasing and I jumped, thinking it was a snake.  

I'm scared one of my kids will get hurt beyond repair.  This probably came on about the time I got pregnant with Anna.  

Bradford Bishop.  I just had to google his name and I got the chills reading the website summary.  Anyway, when I was about nine, the show Unsolved Mysteries was on TV...I don't think I can write the story of what he did because it's awful but moving on...
For the next few weeks I had to sleep in my parents room.  Well, not just in their room, but in their bed.  When I rode my bike to tennis lessons I thought he might be in any car that passed me.  It took about a year before I could go to sleep without a light or not run up the stairs if I was the only one downstairs. 
 I'm not sure why this was so scary but I do know that it's lead to my complete inability to watch anything remotely scary.  Including Hawaii 5-0.  In all honesty I can not even watch an ad for a scary movie without getting scared.  



1 comment:

Diane Turner said...

So...I had to read the crime....I remember feeling similar about Ted Bundy...fear is a powerful force! But more so is love and hope. Glad we had a safe place to sleep!